BOXeight Fashion: Refocus

BOXeight

A refreshing experience in the middle of L.A. Fashion Week was BOXeight Fashion: Refocus, held March 19 – 21 at BOXeight Studios.  Featuring an intimate behind the scenes look at 14 designers’ Fall/Winter 2010 Collections, attendees not only had the opportunity to watch models strike a pose in the designers’ creations, but also got to observe top-notch photographers in action.

Throw in a stylish crowd, good energy and a non-traditional viewing experience, and you get a standout event among a sea of traditional shows/presentations.  I attended Saturday night and saw collections from Eduardo Lucero, Lekuin, Michael Costello, Lloyd Klein and Le Sang Des Betes.

Based in Los Angeles, designer Eduardo Lucero is known for his vivid colors, feminine detailing and romantic & curvaceous shapes.  The standout among the looks that I saw was the dress (pictured first) with the amazing beading detail and cutouts.  The headpieces added a creative touch, further enhancing the drama of his collection.

Lekuin designer Leticia Garcia

I love the idea of saving recycled material and creating something new.  As the core genius behind LEKUIN, the designer cuts and distresses rescued fabrics, carefully piecing them back together all by hand to create a special, one-of-a-kind garment.  Topped with an industrial but delicate vibe, I was feeling LEKUIN.

DJ Caroline D’Amore

Insanely amazing hair seen on the models' for Michael Costello. Photo credit: Chad Wilson

Stunning is one word that easily comes to mind when viewing American Couture Fashion Designer Michael Costello‘s collection.  Combined with amazingly gorgeous hair, his gowns were beautiful and definitely an elegant highlight of the presentations.

Sophistication at its best. Photo credit: Chad Wilson

(Back of) Peter Gurnz, founder of BOXeight & designer Lloyd Klein

After seeing designer Lloyd Klein‘s collection, it’s no surprise that he initially trained in architecture.  Using luxurious fabrics, his pieces are chic and timeless, with great care to detail.  Check out that amazing necklace paired with the tan coat… wow.

I love feathers... especially worn as an elaborate headpiece. Photo credit: Chad Wilson

The mastermind behind Le Sang Des Betes is Trang Chau, a Los-Angeles based artist and designer, who has a background in sculpture, film, architecture and costume design.  With a modern gothic vibe, the collection showcased feather headpieces that distracted you from the see-through garments… for a second.  I did like the intricate patterns and details, and could see myself wearing the leggings with an oversized shirt.

Me, Patty Ann (Alpha Beta Chic) & Neekoh (LiveLoveLA)

Me & Kevin (KVNbyKevinNguyen.com). Photo by Neekoh

I’m wearing a vintage faux fur vest, H&M men’s shirt, James Lillis Cage leggings, Jeffrey Campbell Doo shoes & Topshop bag.

* All photos were taken by me, unless otherwise noted.

Participating designers Friday & Sunday nights included:

Skin Graft | Gold Spun | Funktional | Isabel Lu | Orthodox | Kanvis | Gabby Applegate | Future Heretics | Postage

1. Rick
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 08:26:23

These photos really capture the energy and excitement of a fashion week event. Note to self: Must make it out to LA. Love your outfit. The Cage leggings are creative and fierce!

2. chia
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 08:48:15

awesome =D
    I love the leggings and the headpiece
    and all of the photos

xoxo
    chia

3. chad wilson
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 12:55:28

Thanks for the love and support, amazing review of our weekend!

4. S.N. Carpeaux
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 13:15:28

Great coverage and photos.
    That floor-length chevron dress and khaki belted jacket are gorgeous.

And, love your braids!

5. Cafe Fashionista
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 19:50:20

So one thing is obvious to me…you should have been up on the runway – you are far more gorgeous than the rest of the models! And this look is fabulous…I want your leggings!! :)

6. jon
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 21:47:35

Good call on the shirt. And the braid is dope.

I’ve never been to a show like this or other presentation style shows. I feel like I’d be all awkward around the models.

cosign on chevrons for girls.

7. Julie
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 02:16:35

Thanks for the comment & email Becs.
    I tried up updating my blogroll with your updated url but it keeps reverting back to your wordpress page.
    Is it blogspot? Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Such an inconvenience cuz I heart your blog.

8. the style crusader
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 15:28:34

these photos are incredible! i really love this post. those massive buns are INSANE! seriously putting my little hair donut that i discovered to shame. i also love the items by lucero. really beautiful! thanks for sharing these! xx

9. Miss Glitzy
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 23:40:16

I love your braided hairdo!

10. Joanne Faith
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 01:43:43

Brilliant photos! I love seeing the cage legging being worn – they’re so incredible!

Eduardo Lucero is amazing..

11. neekoh
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:50:47

I looooooved your milkmaid braids, especially with the rest of the outfit. I really like when things don’t necessarily go together but look hot once you combine them :)
    Great pictures, too! That was a great show/event. More to come, for sure :D

XX,
    Neekoh

12. Miss Neira
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 11:59:55

Your pants are fabulous girl!!

13. Clare
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 15:00:57

First, you look gorgeous. Second, these photos are exquisite! What an awesome night! Looks like a ton, ton, ton, of fun!!

14. Jennifer Fabulous
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:11:57

Gahhh!! What a freaking fabulous event. You lucky girl! I am living vicariously through you with all these amazing photos. :)

You look gorgeous and I adore your outfit. And these outfits in the show…sigh. Too brilliant for words. So glad to see you had a kick-ass time! xoxo

15. steph h.
    Mar 30, 2010 @ 11:38:42

i am so sad i didn’t go to this – my friend works for orthodox & didn’t make it. :( boo.

looking AMAZING! love the leggings.

16. Syed
    Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:27:12

That first collection looks stunning. And I am absolutely loving your outfit!

17. ash fox
    Mar 30, 2010 @ 13:14:22

this looks like so much fun! you are adorable in glasses by the way. i’m working on adding your url, but the damn blogger roll thing keeps freezing on me. will keep trying.

x

18. ellie
    Mar 30, 2010 @ 19:00:58

the cobweb dress the designer is wearing is amazing… you look fabulous, and the tights the models are wearing in the last few pictures are fantastic. <3

19. Marcella
    Mar 30, 2010 @ 19:34:23

Looked like a terrific night, the fashion showcased is amazing!

20. ediot
    Mar 31, 2010 @ 09:13:40

this really looks like an fantastic event. you looked stunning. hope you had loads of fun

xx ediot

21. Wrecked Stellar
    Mar 31, 2010 @ 13:04:10

You look super cute in the 2nd photo- pretty smile! And yeah, I love your hair like that! You are one of the few people who can pull off those leggings! xo, mel