Father’s Day Stylish Gift Guide

When my dad’s birthday or Father’s Day rolls around, Mel and I tend to have a semi-tough time choosing the perfect gift.  There are only so many dress/polo shirts and golf accessories that one man can use.  Since we have yet to find a gift (sorry dad… and hi!), I asked my buddy Dan, The Style Blogger and Esquire‘s Best Dressed Real Man in America, to compile a sampling of stylish gift ideas which would suit any dad.

Check out Dan’s list below and then head on over to his blog, The Style Blogger.  Sharing key style tips, Dan’s blog is a must-read and source of inspiration for guys looking to step up their style game and ladies who want to encourage the men in their lives to do the same.

1.  Shoe Care Kit and Cedar Shoe Trees

Men don’t like to spend on incidental maintenance costs, so help your dad take care of his expensive shoes with a nice shoe care kit.  And if pops wants to try out the ever-popular sockless look this summer, cedar shoe trees are a must to soak up the odor and moisture — no pun intended.

————————-

2. Short sleeve classic Gap chambray shirt

Dads are usually not label whores, so the Gap shirt can go a long way.  After all, nothing beats an original.  This is the perfect shirt for dad — a mix of manly woodsman and updated style.

————————-

3.  Davek umbrella

Chances are your dad is not keen on spending $100+ on an umbrella.  Don’t let him walk around with those quick-flip street umbrellas.  Pick up a modern, lightweight Davek umbrella — with breakthrough technology that allows you to retract at the push of a button — even when the wind flips it inside out.

————————-

4.  Classic Ray-Ban Aviator Sunglasses

Maybe your dad had these at one time, maybe he didn’t.  Either way, he should have them now.  These look good on older guys, and suit just about any face shape.  Best part is, these have lasted the test of time and are never going out of style.

————————-

5.  Updated bathing suit

Most dads at the pool or beach are wearing some giant cargo paisley board shorts or — even worse — a banana hammock from the 70s.  Upgrade your dad’s swimwear this summer with a slim, modern (but not overly “designer”) suit like these 7″ trunks by J.Crew.

————————-

6.  Subscription to GQ magazine

Looking to improve dad’s style?  Let him do it on his own by reading the leading american mens fashion/lifestyle magazine.  After reading some quality interviews and lifestyle columns, dad is sure to glance at the style section.  Perhaps add a magazine rack for the bathroom to make sure he keeps the latest issue by his favorite reading place.

————————-

7.  Filson garment bag

If your dad is a traveler he needs some good luggage, but odds are he’s not interested in Louis V monogram print bags.  Pick him up this sturdy, manly garment bag to take care of his travel gear.  The added bonus is Filson’s reputation for long-lasting goods is so renowned that eventually you are likely to come away with this bag — when it is nice and broken in.

————————-

For more choice gift ideas from Dan, check out this list.

Thanks so much, Dan!

Twitter | Bloglovin | Chicisimo | IFB | Chictopia | Lookbook.nu | Weardrobe

1. Couture Carrie
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 07:16:33

Fabulous gift ideas!
    Especially loving the aviators!

xoxox,
    CC

2. Beth
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 08:51:20

This is a great list!

I always end up getting my dad a gift certificate to ‘Golf Galaxy.’ His birthday is always the same week as Father’s Day, so I have to double up on gifts.

That garment bag is pretty sweet.

Thanks for sharing this!

3. Jen
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 08:55:40

What a delightful post! (: Thanks for the ideas!!

xx
    Jen

4. AsianCajuns (Lar)
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 09:08:50

Great list, Dan! Brilliant idea, Becs! Our dad is the hardest man to buy for on the planet. Cath and I usually end of taking him out for dim sum.

5. sarah
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 09:51:21

such great tips! I never know what to buy for fathers day! xx

6. Cafe Fashionista
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:05:02

Ah, Dan has SUCH amazing style! I’m kind of obsessed with the fact that his shoes match his watch strap – so cool!! :)

7. Wrecked Stellar
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:47:55

Love this shot of Dan. I love the Aviators idea- we need to look into this stat. xo, mel

8. Marian
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:59:41

this is a fabulous list hun, some great gift ideas here hun, thanks for sharing
    xx
    marian.

9. Becs
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 16:58:17

Thanks all!

Erika – yes, Dan has amazing style. Def. check out his blog!

xoxo

10. MarchMusings
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 17:15:23

Thanks for the ideas. It’s always hard deciding what to get for the men in our lives.

11. Clare
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 17:23:01

Okay Dan is my new style hero! These are GREAT picks!!

12. RAEZ
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 19:11:51

great post! Super helpful when it comes to picking stuff out for my picky dad!

xx raez

13. katie @ haute from the oven
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 21:02:00

haha yes, i know, bacon sounds odd. i like to think of it as a more extreme version of the chocolate covered pretzel. =D

14. Adele Joanna
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 08:26:32

This is a fantastic post! I love it! Such a great idea and I am going to check out Dan’s blog now. My Dad also has a birthday around fathers day… & I found this quite cute website that allows you to buy lots of personalised cute stuff for dads…

not sure if its an American site but you could look around for some idea! & Yes my hair is naturally curly & thank you :)

- Adele
    MOLTOCURIOSA.COM

15. ediot
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 08:51:49

hi darling. hope youre having a wonderful week! love all your posts. and this one was indeed helpful. my father is turning 60 this month and i have no idea what to give him— why is it always so hard to buy for men–when buying for women is so easy! this did give me a hum of what i should give my papa.
    take care love.

xx ediot

16. HoneyBunny
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:27:41

These are really great ideas!

17. Kristin
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 17:53:08

I looooooove that chambray shirt!

18. Ashley
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 22:28:57

Great picks! Not sure my dad would want the subscription to GQ, but he could definitely learn a few things from it, lol! :)

19. Saturday Link Love |
    Jun 12, 2010 @ 06:52:05

[...] Dan from the Style Blogger guests posts on Style With Benefits putting together stylish gift ideas for [...]

20. savvygal
    Jun 12, 2010 @ 09:22:31

i have the hardest time buying gift for my dad.

21. isquisofrenia
    Jun 12, 2010 @ 18:39:18

awesome, although my dad dont look quite like him hahhahah
    im kidding
    yes i already boutht something for my dad
    thank you for your comments, so sweet all the time!

22. Shin
    Jun 13, 2010 @ 13:06:26

All are great choices!! I definitely need advice for buying a gift for father’s day and that gap shirt is something he would love!!

Becs!! I love the yellow AA pants you’re wearing below!! You pull them off so well! xoxoxooo

23. HauteWorld
    Jun 13, 2010 @ 13:50:02

Fab list! I used to be really good at getting my dad gifts, but now he pretty much has everything. The garment bag and umbrella are my favorites!

24. MizzJ
    Jun 13, 2010 @ 23:10:36

Great tips, although I think these subtlties will be entirely lose on my dad still! haha

25. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup, June 17th | Independent Fashion Bloggers
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 09:02:06

[...] Style with Benefits Father’s Day stylish gift guide by Esquire’s Best Dressed Real Man in America [...]

26. Links à la Mode | à la Modest
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 20:05:11

27. Links à la Mode « The Greyest Ghost
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 21:12:35

28. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup, June 17th | M.I.S.S.
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 22:18:23